The Hickory First Church of God began in 1908 when Rev. J.L. Lundy and several families from the South Mountain section of Burke County moved to Hickory. In those early days of the church, meetings were held in various homes. It was not until 1913 that the fellowship required a building to accommodate its worship services.
 
Hickory Church History 2
During the early years the congregation was led by several pastors: William L. Shinn, G.H. Pye, R.T. Vest, W.A. Southerland, W.H. Oldham, Chester Thompson, Rufus F. Miller, C.W. Hatch, and J.T. Lackey. In 1928 a new sanctuary and classrooms were built.
 
In 1940, Camp Sain was established through the donation of a site northwest of Hickory by Sanford and Zona Sain. 
 
During the 1950’s and 1960’s the church was led by M.O Schutjer and Omer Blevins. Under the leadership of Pastor Blevins the congregation built a new sanctuary behind the old one.
Hickory Church History 1 
Hickory Church History 3
In 1970, Forrest M. Plants came to Hickory and served as pastor until his death in 1986. During his tenure the church built the office/educational wing and gymnasium.
 
Those who have served as pastor since Pastor Plants include Donald Coleman, Orville Easterling, Steve DeLisle, and Michael Hone.